I find the idea of the real life hotspots that allow you to “see” into second life has a number of possible implementations. As I am unsure of what technologies would be used, are even useful, I have a few varying ideas. Here are some starters.
Since a hot spot is single point, it would be simpler to use a localized triangulation technique to establish it. This means setting up three sensors in an area that would detect when a phone is at a specific point between them. First set up sensor in a real-world café. Then create an item in Second Life I will call a HoloCam. I place the HoloCam in my Second Life art gallery. If I have a second life compatible phone, and I am in the café I can use my phone to connect to second life. From my phone I will be looking into my Second Life gallery. A user in second life would see, projected over the HoloCam, an image of my avatar, letting them know I am watching. Perhaps with a little work I could even use the phone to text chat with the person in second life. I could also use the keys on my phone to rotate and tilt my view of the space.
If the sensors in the café are good enough, I could also look around by “pointing” my phone where I want my avatar to face.
I could also use a variation on this. Instead of using sensors in real life, I could make it so that regardless of my location in real life, I could use an internet ready phone to connect to my Second Life HoloCam. This means that while in sitting anywhere with WiFi, I could see if anyone was visiting my Second Life gallery, and perhaps even text chat with them. If I were to mount a proximity sensor on the second life HoloCam, my phone could ring if someone were to enter my gallery, giving me the option to see who was there.
No comments:
Post a Comment